Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover
Don't Judge a Person By Their Bookshelf

I really think that we should judge a book by it's cover. That is the point of a cover after all. Publishers use the cover as a marketing tool. It lets you know what the book is about and the general feel of it. It's true, sometimes they don't do a very good job of portraying what is between those covers, but I still think that it is generally safe to judge a book by it's cover. If we weren't supposed to all books would just be white covers with the name stamped on the front or something like that.

I don't, however, think that you should judge a person by their bookshelf. I'm guily of this. The first thing that I scan when I enter someone's living space is their bookshelf. It is very educational. I then make the stupid mistake of making judgements about the person by what the bookshelf contains. Not mean judgements persay, but still I categorize them in my mind. (Bad Kendra!)

I was looking at my own bookshelf the other day thinking about how most people have dozens and dozens of books that they haven't read and will never read. I am prod to say that I am not one of those people. This is because most of my books are in storage and all that is actually out on my bookshelf are the books I have bought in the last few months. They are the ones that I am working my way through. In storage is another story. I have a general rule for my books that says that I must have read at least half of them before I buy a new book. Normally I am good with this rule and obey it, which means that I am constantly counting my books, which I have read, and which I haven't... (obsessive much?) Right now I am not following that rule because my favorite book format is in danger of Barnes and Noble deciding not to print them anymore. I have been buying as many of them as I can and am now trying my best to dig into them.

So why in the world and I talking about this today? I went to Half Price Books two days in a row and STRUGGLED not to buy several books that I really wanted. I didn't do it, but it was a close call.

0 comments:



Post a Comment